When I was planning the August 2015 menu, I wanted stuffed
peppers. However, I am not a big fan of bell peppers. I am as it turns out a
huge fan of Anaheim
chiles/peppers. They are a mild pepper, but they have a better flavor than bell
peppers. I have always enjoyed Chile Relleno. This was a variation of that. My
mom sent me a slew of links online to stuffed chile dishes. I had been talking
to my mom over the phone about doing a stuffed Anaheim pepper dish. The one I
used here was included in that batch of recipes. Since then that recipe is no
longer online. I had to recreate it.
I chose one that has Mexican chorizo, onion, and cheese as
the stuffing. It also is a baked dish. The Mexican version of stuffed chiles/peppers
is chile relleno, stuffed chiles, which is typically the variety that is fried
with an egg batter. Typically, chile relleno is made from Poblano chiles. I
love Poblanos, but I wanted to do something with my beloved Anaheims.
I have a long history with Anaheim chiles. Growing up my
family used the mild canned variety to make our Mexican style ground beef for
tacos and burritos. We also use the whole canned ones for Chile Relleno
Casserole. I discovered cooking with fresh Anaheims in the early 1990’s. Once again,
the culprit is my Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook. There is
a recipe for Hungarian paprika gravy that is so heavenly. A key ingredient is Anaheim peppers. Anaheims
are a milder form of Hatch or New Mexican chiles. Ripened red ones are referred
to as California
chiles or peppers. When I came back to cooking from scratch I used them a good
deal. I put them in salsas chili con carne, soups and stews. I put them in so
many different dishes.
Stuffed Anaheims
I discovered Chorizo when I was in Junior High, so between
12 and 13. I had it with eggs at a local Mexican Restaurant in Oxnard,
California. Since then I have discovered the many sausages called Chorizo in
Spanish and Latin American cuisine. The variety here is Mexican style, which is
similar to ground country sausage in consistency, but not flavor. The Cheese
called for is either Cheddar Jack or Colby Jack blend. One could use Monterey
Jack Oaxaca, Asadero, Mexican blend, and even a little Cotija at the end. The
dish is really nice. One can control the heat with what kind of enchilada sauce
one makes or uses.
On August 13, 2015, I made the recipe I described earlier.
It is the Anaheims stuffed with Mexican chorizo, onion, and cheese. It is then
smothered in enchilada sauce and cheese then baked. I have a preference for
chorizo, Johnsonville’s chorizo. It has a better quality of meat, at least to
my understanding. but I add some ground chipotle powder, ground guajillo
powder, ground California chile powder, and ground hot New Mexican chile
powder. I add the powders for a bit of kick. My mom, who helped find the
recipe, was here to partake. The heat also can be based on the brand of chorizo
one uses. We both loved this dish.
Stuffed
Anaheim Peppers
Ingredients:
6 large
Anaheim or banana peppers
1-1/2 pounds
chorizo sausage
1 medium
onion diced
1/2 teaspoon
ground Mexican oregano
1 ½ cups
grated Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese, divided use
3 cups cups
enchilada sauce
Directions:
Preheat oven
to 375 degrees F. Slice off tops and remove seeds and ribs from peppers. Remove
chorizo from casing. Add 1 cup cheese, onions, and oregano and mix well. Divide
sausage mixture into equal portions for each pepper. Shove into a pepper using
a small spoon to force mixture into cavity. Overfill slightly. Cover the bottom
of a baking dish with about 1 cup enchilada sauce. Arrange peppers in dish on
top of sauce. Cover with remaining sauce and reserved 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for
45 minutes. Serve hot. Garnish with green onions, sour cream or Mexican Crema. Yield:
6 peppers.
Here is one of the recipes I used to recreate the dish.
No comments:
Post a Comment