Thursday, December 14, 2017

Chile Blanco


My Mom introduced me to Chile Blanco (White Bean Chicken Chili)over 10 years ago. It was after my parents became snowbirds bouncing between Oregon and Arizona. It seems that Chile Blanco originated in the 1980’s somewhere in the Southwest, but not Texas. My mom made the first batch I had of this dish. She got the recipe when living in Arizona. I tried various canned varieties, but I was not a fan. The times I enjoyed it were when it was made from scratch.

It tends to by Northern white beans, chicken or turkey (Duck has also been used), green chiles, cumin, oregano, onions, garlic, and jalapeƱos. There are variations, many call for sour cream or Mexican crema. When I first made it, I noticed the similarities in flavor to Sopa de Lima. That led me to add lime juice and diced tomatoes to mine. Among the things to add I would include shredded zucchini and/or yellow/ summer squash, roasted diced poblano chiles, nopales or nopalitos, greens (kale, chard, mustard greens, spinach, or turnip greens), cilantro, yogurt (usually instead of sour cream or Mexican crema), and white cheese (Monterey Jack, cotija, asadero, ranchero, queso quesadilla, queso fresco, Manchego, drunken/tipsy goat cheese, Oaxaca cheese, and Parmesan).

Chile Blanco

Since this dish is traditionally paired with a variety of poultry, other possibilities include, goose, quail, pheasant, squab, and Cornish game hen. Another variation is a Seafood chili blanco. This would include any combination of shrimp/prawns, fish, clams, crab, crayfish, lobster, octopus, squid, and scallops. Cream, sour cream, or Mexican Crema would work with the Seafood variety. Beer is a common ingredient for all chilis, but I avoid alcohol.

I made it at work for the people I support on December 14, 2017. I added the lime, petite diced tomatoes, a dash of paprika, and a dash of chili powder. Due to dietary restrictions I could not use any dairy. It tasted great. The combining of the elements from Sopa de Lima were a great twist. When I make it at home, I will use homemade Mexican crema. I definitely use Fritos or tortilla chips or strips. Chile con Carne, Chile blanco, Chile Colorado, Vegetarian Chili, and Chile Verde seems to be the main variations, but that may change again with a cook or chef with the right creativity.

Creamy White Chili Recipe
White Bean and Chicken Chili
Seafood Chili Blanco

No comments:

Post a Comment