I have a long storied history with quesadillas. For the
longest time, I did not know what they were called. When I was ten, I started
making something I called fried cheesy tacos. These were cheese filled corn
tortillas fried in butter. It was not until I was in college that I discovered
the typical quesadilla of cheese filled flour tortillas and the name associated
with any cheese filled tortilla dish.
Quesadillas Tradicionales
In Mexico, they are made with corn tortillas typically
filled with Oaxaca cheese. They are made in a cast iron or earthenware griddle
called a comal, which is also used to make tortillas. Typical fillings are potatoes
with chorizo, squash blossoms, mushrooms, epazote, huitlacoche, and different
types of cooked meat. They are cooked dry on the griddle. When they are fried
with oil they are called quesadillas fritas. Typically they are one tortilla
flipped in a half moon shape. When cheese and meat, typically ham, are
sandwiched between two tortillas and cut into wedges, that is called a sincronizada.
In Mexico the use of flour tortillas is more common in the Northern region.
With the restarting my cooking from scratch, I originally
made them using the microwave. I later was frying the corn tortilla versions, first
in butter then in olive oil. I stopped frying them for two reasons. First
reason was I needed to eat healthier. The second was I wanted to see if I liked
the more traditional version. I did like the traditional version. Now I use my
electric skillet/kettle for the corn tortilla quesadillas. I started using my
toaster oven for the flour tortilla version. My typical fillings have been a
Mexican cheese blend, taco sauce, and/or hot sauce. Sometimes I use various
chile powders instead of hot sauce. The powders are a combination of chipotle,
ancho, guajillo, and New Mexican chile.
Quesadilla en Tortilla de Harina
I have experimented. I have added various lunch meats and
Spanish style chorizo. Spanish chorizo is more like a mild pepperoni. Another
of my weird quesadillas is my Quesadilla Española: Spanish chorizo, manchego
cheese, and piquillo peppers. The piquillos cut the saltiness of the Spanish
chorizo and the Manchego cheese. I have made my Jalapeño Popper Quesadilla,
cream cheese and pickled jalapeños. I could see using nopalitos, pickled
nopales, in a quesadilla as well. I also make my Pepper Jack Quesadilla: Monterey
Jack and pickled jalapeños. It has a good flavor, next time I may use pepper
jack cheese to see how that goes. Lately
I have not been too big with the frills, so I have served them without any
salsa or guacamole. The idea of me posting about my history with this dish was
due to a friend’s post about Mexican cooking. I brought up my Jalapeño Popper
Quesadilla. I hope you, my readers, get ideas from what I have wrote.
No comments:
Post a Comment