I discovered this dish in the early to mid 1990’s. It was a
cold dish I found in various grocery store deli counters. Their version more
than likely used standard wheat noodles. This is the dish that led to my love
of Thai peanut sauce and satay sauce. It has usually been spicy and served
cold. Originally when I made this I bought pre-made sauces and various Asian
wheat noodles found in the refrigerated sections of the grocery store next to
the tofu.
I have to be honest; I have a peanut butter addiction. As a
kid I loved peanut butter sandwiches. I am not talking about peanut butter and
jelly or jam, but straight on just peanut butter sandwiches. I grew up on all
natural peanut butters that meant peanuts and salt. The typical peanut butters
like Skippy and Jif are too sweet in my opinion. Mind you, I used to eat peanut
butter and honey. I controlled how sweet it was. My love of peanut butter
extends to sweets, specifically candy bars. My biggest weaknesses are Hershey’s
5th Avenues and Hershey’s Whatchamacallits. I do not care for Butterfingers;
they taste like artificial peanut butter to me.
Rice Noodles in Thai Peanut Sauce
I have always wanted to make my own and I decided to do so
in December 2105. I looked around at various recipes. I found one I wanted to
try online. On December 11,
2015 , I did my first batch. I used all natural peanut butter, but
not the unsalted variety. This recipe had two salty elements, soy sauce and
fish sauce. It was a little too salty, due to the salted peanut butter with the
fish sauce and soy sauce. It was less salty when mixed with the rice noodles.
That was the other thing I did, I used rice noodle sticks. I am still trying to
trim down my wheat use. Another issue was the ginger was a bit too prominent in
this version.
In January 2016, I wanted to make another attempt. This
batch used a peanut sauce recipe with fewer ingredients. It called for red
curry paste. This dish was at my ceiling of heat tolerance. Two tablespoons of
red curry paste per recipe was too much and I doubled the batch so I used four
tablespoons. That was a little strong. I used an unsalted peanut butter this
time. I am developing my own recipe, using both previous recipes and a satay
recipe I found. We will see where this takes me.
Thai Peanut Sauce
Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe
The Best Thai Peanut Sauce
No comments:
Post a Comment